If you need to transcode files quickly and efficiently and don't want to wait on OpenReel's built-in transcoder, we recommend the free, open-source program Handbrake, which you can download here.
Handbrake allows you to convert one or many files at once. Follow these instructions to transcode files to any format that you need.
1. Open Handbrake. Click Open Source to select the file(s) that you want to transcode.
2. The default output is an .mp4 but you can also select .mkv or .webm. Select a preset that matches the resolution and frame rate of the original file (e.g. if you recorded at 720p and 30fps, select 720p30).
3. Select the Save As destination at the bottom and rename the file as you so choose.
4. If you are only transcoding one file, click Start. You will see the file processing and see the message "Encode Finished" at the bottom of the window when it's complete. You'll find the converted file in the folder you selected in Step 3.
5. If you want to transcode many files at once, click Add to the Queue instead of Start. You'll see a red number icon pop up on the Queue, indicating how many files you have queued up.
6. To add more files, click Open Source again, select a new file, then click Add to the Queue. Repeat this process until you've added all of the files to the queue that you need to convert.
7. When your queue is ready to go, click Start Queue and wait for your files to transcode. This process should only take a few minutes per file.