In order to have the best experience while using OpenReel, follow these steps prior to your video shoot!
The Day Before the Shoot
1. Ensure that your computer is running the most up-to-date operating system.
**Run any available security updates for the operating system you are using as well.**
2. Optimize your web browser by:
- Updating to the latest version available.
- Clearing the cache.
- This step is crucial to ensure there is adequate space available, and so the browser operates smoothly during the session.
**Please note that OpenReel is only compatible with Chrome and Firefox browsers.**
Just Before Joining a Session
1. Disable any personal firewalls or VPNs.
- These can block your connection to OpenReel. If enabled, you may not be able to enter your session, experience drop outs, or have issues uploading recorded clips.
2. Close out any other software and any additional browser tabs to conserve computing resources!
- These can pull your computer's resources away from OpenReel.
- Make sure other programs are fully closed! You can use Force Quit (Opt +Cmd + Esc) on a Mac, or Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) on a PC to ensure programs are not running in the background.
3. Connect to Wi-Fi or fastest internet available.
- Clips are recorded locally on your computer, so you will get a great quality video at almost any internet speed.
- A stable connection is still important to ensure your computer receives commands from the Director and so that you can communicate with them clearly during the session.
- 3Mb/s Upload and Download is the the minimum internet speed requirement.
- The Director can check your speeds from their side when you enter a session.
To learn more about optimizing your computer for the most efficient and smooth recording experience possible, please view this article.
Before You Leave!
- Webcam uploads begin automatically as soon as the Director stops the recording.
- You, the Subject, must not close your OpenReel session tab or exit the browser until all uploads have completed.
- Files are stored in the temporarily in the browser until they are uploaded, so closing out before the uploads are complete will interrupt this process.
- You will see the upload status appear at the bottom of your screen as soon as recording stops.
- The status box will disappear when the upload is finished and it is safe to close out.
Download our Webcam Subject Prep Sheet!