#1: The Subjects Use Airpods
- Bring the Subject in on their iOS device, without any equipment attached. Make sure you can hear them and they can hear you.
- Have the Subject then connect their external mic. Toggle on Lav mic.
- Toggle on Professional Audio.
- Have the Subject then connect their Airpods to their iOS device. The speaker output should automatically switch to Airpods. (Have them make sure Bluetooth is turned off of any other nearby devices that may try to connect to the Airpods.)
Now the Subject will be able to hear you and other participants through their Airpods while recording.
#2: Bring the Subjects in on Two Devices Each
Forgo the Airpods (or the need for an external conference line, as in the third workflow option) by bringing in the Subject(s) both on their iOS device with an external mic and on a secondary device (laptop or other mobile device).
In this iOS setup, each Subject will be in the Session on two devices allowing you capture them on two angles at once, if you so chose.
You will communicate with the Subject(s) through their secondary devices. Mute the iOS device(s) entirely (input and output), as shown in the screenshot below. The audio captured through their external mics on the iOS devices will still be recorded even if muted in the platform.
When you click record, you can choose to toggle off the secondary devices used for communication (as in the sample screenshot below) and only record the Subjects on their iOS devices with external mics.
Remember: We always recommend conducting a 30-60 second test recording at the beginning of every shoot. In this case, you’ll want to upload and playback the files recorded from the iOS devices to make sure you’re happy with the audio quality.
#3: External Conference Line Setup
Your Subjects (and any Collaborators who may also want to communicate with the Subjects) will need to communicate through an external conference line on a separate device (such as Zoom on a computer or a conference call on a phone).
External Conference Line
All participants in the Session call into a conference line on a separate device, including Subjects and/or Collaborators, and the Director.
Director and Collaborator Set Up:
- Equipment: On computer with headphones.
- Secondary Device paired into the Conference
- Mute themselves in OpenReel
- Mutes on conference line to not create audio feedback (on speaker phone)
Subjects 2-4 (Subjects on iPhone w/ lav mic) Set Up:
- iPhone with lav mic connected to OpenReel platform
- Secondary device called into conference line