This is an atypical, semi-complex setup that will be necessary if you need to record 2+ Subjects using external mics who need to hear each other and have a conversation!
When an external mic is plugged into an iOS device, the device reads it as headphones, thus that device loses the ability to output audio and the Subject can not hear anyone during recording. This is the reason we created Admin Talkback, but it also prevents two Subjects from being able to have a free-flowing conversation since they would not be able to hear one another.
To work around this, your Subjects (and any Collaborators who may also want to communicate with the Subjects) will need to communicate through an external conference line on a separate device (such as Zoom on a computer or a conference call on a phone).
Tips for Facilitating This Setup
External Conference Line
All participants in the shoot call into a conference line on a separate device, this includes Subjects and/or Collaborators and the Director.
When utilizing this method, you will need to minimize the primary recording device from picking up the secondary-device audio. The best way to do this is to have the Subject wear headphones connected to the secondary device running the external conference line. If headphones are not an option, have them turn down the speaker volume as low as possible while still allowing them to hear the conference line participants.
Director and Collaborator Set Up:
- Equipment: On computer with headphones.
- Secondary Device paired into the Conference
- Mute themselves in OpenReel
- Mutes on conference line to not create audio feedback (on speaker phone)
Subjects 2-4 (Subjects on iPhone w LAV Mic) Set Up:
- iPhone with Lav Mic connected to OpenReel platform
- Secondary device called into conference line with headphones or very low speaker volume.
Audio Settings in OpenReel
- Mobile Mic Settings for each phone: External Mic
- Blue Tab in the Top Left Corner - Audio Output: Off
- Blue Tab in the Top Left Corner - Audio Input: On
Change Admin Feed to: Dominant Speaker
Now we have our Subjects on an external conference line able to hear each other; an audio feedback loop is prevented; and you can proceed with your high quality recording!