Give your subject the ability to start and stop recording from their phone
When using an iOS device, the director can give a subject the ability to start and stop recording from their phone.
When To Use The Self Record Feature
Primarily we recommend using this feature if you have a subject who needs to record themselves without a director controlling their phone remotely.
How to Use The Self Record Feature
IMPORTANT: In order for the subject to connect to a room the director will need to be in the room first and accept the subject into the room. Once the subject is connected and the director gives them self-recording permissions, the director can leave the room.
STEP 1: Subject Joins the Room
The director will connect the subject as they would in any other shoot. Provide your subject the session ID and accept them into the room. Subject Joins Room with Session ID
STEP 2: Director Gives Subject Self Record Permissions
Once the phone is successfully connected to the room, the director will adjust the permissions on the phone to give the subject the ability to record themselves.
- Session Options
2. Click the "Remote Devices" Section, then "Self Record Setting"
3. Check the first 3 boxes to give your subject permission to: Start & Stop Recording, and click to focus (note: in versions 1.26 and newer the subject does not have the ability to manually adjust exposure).
Then Press "SAVE" & "CLOSE"
STEP 3: Subject Records
Once the subject has permission, the director has the ability to leave the room and the subject has control. The subject will now have the ability to Start & Stop a recording, whether or not the director is in the room.
The subject will follow these steps:
1. Press the red record button
2. Title the video, press start recording
3. Press Stop Recording
STEP 3: Subject Upload
Once a video is recorded the subject will upload the video to the OpenReel platform. The subject can follow the steps outlined in this article to upload videos: SUBJECT UPLOAD.
Requirements & Important Notes
- Subject must stay connected to the internet (either WIFI or Data) during the session
- If the subject exits the session, they cannot rejoin back into the session without the director accepting them into the room. The director will need to actively be in the room to accept the subject into the room.
- NOTE: As long as the subject stays connected to the internet and leaves the session running in the background on their phone they can re-enter the session and continue to record.
- The teleprompter feature only works when the director is connected to the room.
- Any other camera settings outside of focus, exposure, and recording will need to be adjusted by the director prior to leaving the room, as the subject does not have access to adjust these. This may include: Resolution, FPS, Aspect Ratio, etc.
Benefits of Self Recording Through OpenReel vs. Native Camera App
- All Footage upload directly to storage in OpenReel Platform
- Director & Collaborators can re-enter the room and join the shoot if necessary
If you have any questions, please reach out to the OpenReel Support Team:
- Email: Support@OpenReel.com
- Phone: 888.239.5202 x2