Reduced processing power on the device (due to too many open apps, background processes, etc.) can overtax the device’s resources resulting in:
- Varying frame rates in the final video;
- Delayed commands being sent to and from the platform;
- Overheating the device;
- Slow functionality within the platform for all participants;
As a Subject, before logging into the OpenReel Capture app on your mobile device, ensure that your device is set up accordingly by following these steps.
The Day Before the Shoot:
- Confirm that your phone model is supported (iOS Supported Devices and Android device compatibility).
- Confirm that your phone has at least 5GB of local storage available.
- Update your phone to the latest OS version.
- Download and install the OpenReel Capture App. (Google Play Store • Apple App Store)
Just Before Joining a Session:
- Charge your device to 100%. You do not want to charge your device while recording as both processes eat up a lot of processing power and you risk overheating the device. Note: If using AirPods make sure they are fully charged as well.
- Connect to the fastest available network (usually WiFi). After joining a Session, Subjects need upload and download speeds of at least 3 Mb/s. A poor, fluctuating, or spotty internet connection can result in a user being disconnected from the Session unexpectedly, thus interrupting your take.
- Close down other applications. Force quit applications that might usually run in the background hogging processing power or that might be utilizing valuable internet bandwidth.
- Turn on Do Not Disturb or Focus mode. This prevents phone calls from disrupting recording and uploading, and prevents notifications from affecting the shot.
- Disable Bluetooth so any nearby Bluetooth devices don't try to connect in the middle of recording. Only do this step if you are not using Bluetooth earbuds during the shoot.
In the OpenReel Capture App
- Enter the case-sensitive 4-digit Session ID that your Director provided to you. Type in your name, and press Continue.
- Select the Session room box to enter!
Watch our Mobile Subject Prep video!
Download our Subject Prep Guide!