What's New in 2.0?
We’re excited to introduce you to OpenReel 2.0, which has been redesigned for a more intuitive user experience and more efficient workflows. Take a look below for some of the prominent changes and updated features you will have at your disposal.
Improved Organization for Projects and Sessions
Now it’s even easier to organize and keep track of all of your projects and associated shoots. Create a Project and as many Sessions within that Project, as needed. All files related to those Sessions will be accessible from within that Project.
Brand New Session Interface
Meet the redesigned OpenReel platform! It’s new, it’s modern, it’s more robust, and it’s dark mode -- everything you’ve been asking for!
Improved Subject Invites
While Subjects can still easily join any Session through the OpenReel Capture app by inputting the Session ID, you can now easily invite them with either a General Subject Access Link or an email, making your workflow more efficient. It's that simple!
New Mic Auto-Detection and Hold to Speak (iOS Only)
The platform now auto-detects when an external mic is connected to an iOS device and our updated Hold to Speak functionality allows for easy two-way communication between the Director and iOS Subjects, so you will no longer have to manually adjust audio settings.
Better user experience while increasing audio output data.
- Allows for free-flowing communication while recording without the need for Hold to Speak
- Bypasses iOS's Auto Gain Control and allows the Director to change the audio gain manually.
- Disables iOS's Echo Cancellation leading to higher quality recorded audio.
Improved Gallery Views
View all Collaborators and Subjects in a familiar gallery-view grid during a Session. Directors will also be able to pin feeds to dictate who the Subjects see on their end.
New Realtime Speed Tests
Never lose sight of a Subject’s internet speeds with our on-going real-time speed tests, which will keep you informed throughout a shoot.
New Clip Naming Conventions
Set up your clip naming conventions to easily manage and organize your recording files. This will make your shooting workflow more efficient.
Improved Webcam Recordings
You now have the ability to record up to 1080p with a webcam. (Keep in mind, the quality and available resolution will still be device-dependent.)
New and Improved Camera Controls
Have more visual controls at your fingertips with our improved camera settings, including:
- Color balance
- Brightness and white balance
- Resolution and FPS controls
- Framing guides
- Flip camera
New Bulk Download!
Download batches of files easily with our new bulk downloading feature.
Improved Teleprompter Controls
The new Teleprompter makes collaboration a breeze, allowing you to save scripts across Sessions within a Project and set script status for your teammates. Enjoy improved formatting options and easy-to-adjust speed controls, as well.
Updated Browser Support
OpenReel 2.0 supports the latest versions of Chrome and Firefox browsers.
What’s Coming Next?
Some features that are in development that we’re excited about include:
- Updated user permissions
- Ability to record Director and Collaborator feeds
- Webcam uploads will still automatically initiate when a recording is stopped, but if anything interrupts the upload process, the Subject will have the option to download the file, thus preventing you from losing that take.
- Brand New App: The new mobile app for Mobile devices will have a stunning new look, allowing Subjects to view everyone else in the room, and rearrange who they see on their screen. Directors will also be able to keep Subjects in a waiting lobby until the Session is ready to begin.