The following tips will help you troubleshoot any internet-related issues you may experience.
Disconnect VPNs and/or Firewalls
You must disable any security software such as firewalls that may disrupt the OpenReel servers. No one (including Subjects and Collaborators) should be connected to a VPN or have any firewalls running during a Session. Doing so may lead to platform inconsistencies and unstable connections, ultimately interfering with your recordings.
Trying to connect to the OpenReel servers through a VPN can:
- Prevent users from connecting to a Session;
- Interrupt recording or prevent you from being able to record at all;
- Interrupt uploading or prevent you from being able to upload at all;
- Interrupt or prevent video and audio communication between all participants;
- Prevent participant video feeds from displaying
When a user enters a room for the first time, OpenReel is able to run an internet speed test. Both the Subject’s and your, the Director’s, download and upload speed should be GREATER THAN 3Mb/s for best performance. Understand that even if the internet is slightly higher than 3Mb/s, this will still be on the lower end of the recommended internet speed.
All internet speed test updates in real-time so you will notice the numbers and bandwidth bars fluctuate. A poor, fluctuating, or spotty internet connection can:
- result in a user being disconnected from the Session unexpectedly;
- produce a lower quality streaming preview of the Subject feeds;
- Interrupt, slow down, and/or stop clip recording;
- Interrupt, slow down, and/or stop the file uploading process;
- Slow or interrupted audio and video communication between all participants;
- Delayed communications between devices;
Select the “i” icon in the top right bar to bring up the Application Performance window.
Select the “i” icon in the top left corner of their preview screen to bring up the Application Performance window.
If you are having issues for any reason, the first step in troubleshooting should be to re-establish your own connection as the Director. Do this by refreshing your browser page.
If there are still recurring issues, re-establish your Subject’s connection by rejoining their device.
Have Questions? Here's how to reach us:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call 888.239.5202 x2
- Website Chat on openreel.com or helpcenter.openreel.com. Our Live Chat function is located in the lower right corner!