Shopping Lists for Gear We Recommend
All of the equipment on this list has been thoroughly tested by the team at OpenReel. You will find recommended equipment for both iPhone/iPad and WebCam recording.
iOS Device Recording
The most basic option for capturing audio is through the phone’s native microphone. Adding a lavalier (“lav”) microphone to your setup will have a positive impact on the quality of audio you capture. You must use a TRRS LAV microphone and a Lightning adapter.
Please note: At this time, Bluetooth and Airpods are not yet supported on iOS devices in OpenReel.
Pop Voice Lav Microphone:
The OpenReel Capture 2.0 app can work with most wired, smartphone compatible, microphones. The “Pop Voice Mic” (Lavalier Mic, Model #: PPV014, Year: 2018) is one we really like. This lav microphone’s wire is 9.5 feet, which gives you a lot of slack to creatively frame a shot.
Note: Self battery powered mics are not compatible with OR Capture. Compatible microphones must have a 3.5mm connection (TRRS to lightning adapter) and must be powered by the phone.
Other Compatible Microphones
- Rode Smart Lav + - Lavalier Mic, Model #: SMARTLAVPLUS, Year: 2014
- Rode VideoMicro - Shotgun Mic, Model #: ROVIDEOMICPC, Year: 2015 *with TRS to TRRS connector & Apple Lightning Adapter
- Amazon Basics Mic - Condenser Mic, Model #: LJ-SM-08-01, Year: 2019
- PowerDeWise Mic - Lavalier Mic, Model #: 10765900, Year: 2016
Apple Lightning Adapter:
When Apple released the iPhone 7 in 2016 they stopped making phones with 3.5mm headphone jacks. In order to plug a LAV microphone or any audio device into your iPhone you need the Apple lightning adapter (Model #: MMX62AM/A, Year: 2016)
We highly encourage you to buy these directly from Apple to avoid third-party incompatibilities and to ensure optimal functionality. Non-Apple products may have decreased compatibility with the OpenReel platform.
To be used in conjunction with Professional Audio.
Stabilize your shot with tripods! Ever watch a video that makes you feel car sick? A simple tripod solution will give your Subject a place to prop their phone, and give you, the Director, more control over framing the shot.
- Samtian Ring Light - Model #: 14inches, Year: 2018 (recommended)
- MFW Monopod & Mount - Model #: USFBA-Bluetooth Selfie Stick, Year: 2017 (compact and easy to transport)
- Octo Mounts Desktop Tripod - Model #: 5647407180, Year: 2017 (low cost option)
- AmazonBasics Tripod - Model #: WT3540, Year: 2018 (adjustable and easy tilt feature; does not include mount)
- Vastar Phone Mount - Model #: VTM7-ALX-1, Year: 2016 (if your Subject already has a tripod)
NOTE: Your Subject can use the equipment they already have (built-in laptop webcam and microphone). For more tips on setting up a webcam video shoot: Tips of Filming Great WebCam Videos
- LITA Laptop Stand - Model #: STAND01-B1, Year: 2018
Your Subject can use a simple headset or they can connect an external USB microphone. Wireless microphones and Bluetooth headsets can also be used for webcam recordings, so if your Subject has Apple Airpods, this is the perfect opportunity to use them. As long as the computer recognizes the headset or microphone, then it will function within OpenReel.
Please note: Bluetooth and Airpods are only supported on PC & Macs, not iPhone/iPad iOS devices.
Here are a few recommendations:
- Samson USB Microphone - Model #: SAM SAQ2U, Year: 2004
- FIFNE USB Microphone - Model #: FBA_ABCD00013, Year: 2015
- Blue Snowball US Microphone - Model #: 988-000067, Year: 2015
- Logitech C920 - 1080p HD camera, Model #: 960-000764, Year: 2012
- Razer Kiyo - 1080p HD camera, Model #: RZ19-02320100-R3M1, Year: 2017
Note: While using a high-quality external webcam could yield better quality video, the resolution of webcam recordings will be capped at 1080p.
Your camera phone loves great natural lighting. While ambient light can be used to create a beautiful shot, we’ve included a few simple lighting options that can easily be shipped or shared with your Subjects. These are more basic options; if you have a full studio with 12 different lights, you’re already set!
- Samtian Ring Light - Model #: 14inches, Year: 2018 (all-in-one tripod, mount & light all in)
- Cowboy Studio Light Stand - Model #: 2X C-803, Year: 2009
- NEEWER 160 LED Light Panel - Model #: 40004082, Year: 2011 (simple, compact solution that can be mounted on a monopod; requires AA batteries)
- VidPro LED Video Light Kit - Model #: LED-330X, Year: 2015 (more powerful solution that requires light stand)
- Yongnuo Video Light - Model #: YN-216, Year: 2014 (more powerful solution that requires light stand and AA batteries)