All of the equipment on this list has been thoroughly tested by the team at OpenReel. You will find recommended equipment for both mobile and webcam recordings, as well as recommended computer specs for any behind-the-camera participants.
Mobile Device Recording
The most basic option for capturing audio is through the mobile device's native microphone. Adding a lavalier (“lav”) microphone to your setup will have a positive impact on the quality of audio you capture.
Supported Android Devices
Learn about compatible Android devices here.
Android Compatible Microphones
For any Android device that has a ⅛ mic jack, you can use any TRRS mic that will fit in that microphone port.
For any Android device that has a USB-C port, you can use any native USB-C mics, USB mic with USB-C adapter, or ⅛ mic with USB-C adapter.
Sample Compatible Microphones
- Zoom Am7: Stereo Mic, Model #: Am7
- Shure MV88+: Shotgun Mic, Model #: MV88+
- PowerDeWise: Lav Mic, Model #: PPV014
- Jabra Evolve 65: USB Headset, Model #: 6599-829-409
The Android app supports wireless Bluetooth devices, such as Airpods, Galaxy Buds, Pixel Buds, or Bluetooth speakers.
Supported iOS Devices
iOS Compatible Microphones
Note: Battery powered mics may cause line noise when filming.
Sample Compatible Microphones
- Shure MV88: Shotgun Mic, Model #: MV88
- Pop Voice Lav - Lavalier Mic, Model #: PPV014
- Rode Smart Lav + - Lavalier Mic, Model #: SMARTLAVPLUS
- Rode VideoMicro - Shotgun Mic, Model #: ROVIDEOMICPC, *with TRS to TRRS connector & Apple Lightning Adapter
- Amazon Basics Mic - Condenser Mic, Model #: LJ-SM-08-01
- PowerDeWise Mic - Lavalier Mic, Model #: 10765900
Apple Lightning Adapter:
When Apple released the iPhone 7 in 2016 they stopped making phones with 3.5mm headphone jacks. In order to plug an externalmicrophone or any audio device into your iPhone you need the Apple lightning adapter (Model #: MMX62AM/A, Year: 2016)
We highly encourage you to buy these directly from Apple to avoid third-party incompatibilities and to ensure optimal functionality. Non-Apple products may have decreased compatibility with the OpenReel platform.
The iOS app supports the use of AirPods. In order to take advantage of our Professional Audio feature, the Subject must connect AirPods.
Stabilize your shot with tripods! Ever watch a video that makes you feel car sick? A simple tripod solution will give your Subject a place to prop their phone, and give you, the Director, more control over framing the shot.
- Samtian Ring Light - Model #: 14inches, Year: 2018 (recommended)
- MFW Monopod & Mount - Model #: USFBA-Bluetooth Selfie Stick, Year: 2017 (compact and easy to transport)
- Octo Mounts Desktop Tripod - Model #: 5647407180, Year: 2017 (low cost option)
- AmazonBasics Tripod - Model #: WT3540, Year: 2018 (adjustable and easy tilt feature; does not include mount)
- Vastar Phone Mount - Model #: VTM7-ALX-1, Year: 2016 (if your Subject already has a tripod)
Recommended Computer Specs
We recommend that any participant logging into OpenReel from a computer (Director, Collaborator, Watcher, or Subject) uses a computer with the following specs. Underpowered computers (or computers that have not been properly optimized) will struggle to keep up with the necessary processing required to conduct a shoot. Learn more about computer optimization here.
- 8 GB RAM
- i3 processor or equivalent
- 12 GB RAM
- i7 processor or equivalent
- Logitech C920 - 1080p HD camera, Model #: 960-000764, Year: 2012
- Razer Kiyo - 1080p HD camera, Model #: RZ19-02320100-R3M1, Year: 2017
Your Subject can use a simple headset or they can connect an external USB microphone. Wireless microphones and Bluetooth headsets can also be used for webcam recordings, so if your Subject has Apple Airpods, this is the perfect opportunity to use them. As long as the computer recognizes the headset or microphone, then it will function within OpenReel.
Here are a few recommendations:
- Samson USB Microphone - Model #: SAM SAQ2U, Year: 2004
- FIFNE USB Microphone - Model #: FBA_ABCD00013, Year: 2015
- Blue Snowball US Microphone - Model #: 988-000067, Year: 2015
- LITA Laptop Stand - Model #: STAND01-B1, Year: 2018
Your camera phone loves great natural lighting. While ambient light can be used to create a beautiful shot, we’ve included a few simple lighting options that can easily be shipped or shared with your Subjects. These are more basic options; if you have a full studio with 12 different lights, you’re already set!
- Samtian Ring Light - Model #: 14inches, Year: 2018 (all-in-one tripod, mount & light all in)
- Cowboy Studio Light Stand - Model #: 2X C-803, Year: 2009
- NEEWER 160 LED Light Panel - Model #: 40004082, Year: 2011 (simple, compact solution that can be mounted on a monopod; requires AA batteries)
- VidPro LED Video Light Kit - Model #: LED-330X, Year: 2015 (more powerful solution that requires light stand)
- Yongnuo Video Light - Model #: YN-216, Year: 2014 (more powerful solution that requires light stand and AA batteries)