Reduced processing power on the device (due to too many open apps, background processes, etc.) can overtax the device’s resources resulting in:
- Varying frame rates in the final video;
- Delayed commands being sent to and from the platform;
- Overheating the device;
- Slow functionality within the platform for all participants;
As a Subject, before logging into the OpenReel Capture app on your iPhone or iPad, ensure that your iOS device is set up accordingly by following these steps.
The Day Before the Shoot:
- Confirm that your phone model is supported (Supported Devices).
- Confirm that your phone has at least 5GB of local storage available.
- Update your phone to the latest iOS version.
- Download the OpenReel Capture 2 App.
Just Before Joining a Session:
- Install the OpenReel Capture app. You can not enter a Session as a Subject from a mobile browser.
- Confirm that your mobile operating system (iOS) is up-to-date. You want to use the most recent version of the software!
- Charge your device to 100%. You do not want to charge your device while recording as both processes eat up a lot of processing power and you risk overheating the device.
** If using AirPods make sure they are fully charged as well.
- Connect to the fastest available network (usually WiFi). After joining a Session, Subjects need upload and download speeds of at least 3 Mb/s. A poor, fluctuating, or spotty internet connection can result in a user being disconnected from the Session unexpectedly, thus interrupting your take.
- Close down other applications. Force quit applications that might usually run in the background hogging processing power or that might be utilizing valuable internet bandwidth.
- Turn on Do Not Disturb and set it to always. This prevents phone calls from disrupting recording and uploading, and prevents notifications from affecting the shot.
- Disable Bluetooth so any nearby Bluetooth devices don't try to connect in the middle of recording.
- If using a compatible External Mic, plug it in.
In the OpenReel Capture 2 App
- Enter the case-sensitive 4-digit Session ID that your Director provided to you. Type in your name, and press Continue.
- Select the session room box to enter!
Download our Subject Prep Guide!